Skip to main content

Part-time Loans and Grants

I am a part-time student. Am I eligible for OSAP?

You may be eligible for the federal Part-time Canada Student Loan and Canada Student Grants Program. Review the information below to see if you would qualify through the part-time program.

ExpandWhat is considered part-time?

You are considered a part-time student if you are:

  • Registered in 20 to 59 per cent of a full course load (3 to 8 credits per term); or
  • Registered in 20 to 39 per cent of a full course load (3 to 5 credits per term) if you are a student with a permanent disability.

Based on the OSAP requirements, you may be a part-time student for one term, and a full-time student for the other term. If this is the case, submit a part-time application only for the term showing that you are part-time. Use the calculator below to determine if you are considered part-time.

Note: When entering credits below, credits for full year (Y) courses are split evenly in the fall and winter terms. Example: Y course = six credits; three credits are considered in the fall term and three credits are considered in the winter term. Use this calculator to determine your course load for each term.

It is important to enter your correct course load on your financial aid application as your tuition, compulsory and book costs in the assessment are calculated based on your course load. Incorrect course load information will delay your funds.

ExpandWhat is the eligibility criteria?

To be eligible for the Part-time Canada Student Loans and Canada Student Grant Program, you must meet the criteria below, as well as certain residency and income requirements as specified on the government OSAP website:

  • Registered in an OSAP-approved degree program (most degree programs at York are eligible).
  • If you have previous OSAP loans, they must be in good standing (i.e. you have not defaulted on a student loan and/or you are not restricted from participating in financial aid programs).
  • You maintained satisfactory academic progress while in receiving previous government financial aid.

ExpandHow do I apply?

The online part-time application is available on the OSAP website.

Once you apply online, you will be required to provide declaration and signature forms, along with supporting documentation based on your circumstances.

We strongly encourage students to apply online. Paper applications required more processing time. Print and complete the paper application only if you are unable to use the online application.

ExpandWhere do I submit my declaration and supporting documentation?

Submit your declaration and signature forms, along with any other supporting documentation, by placing them in the drop box located in the lobby of the Bennett Centre for Student Services (the building is open 24 hours a day) or mail it to the following address:

Student Financial Services - York University
Bennett Centre for Student Services
4700 Keele St. Toronto, ON Canada M3J 1P3

You cannot fax your forms, as original signatures are required. It is not necessary to see someone when submitting documentation.

ExpandWhat are the application deadlines for the part-time student loan applications?

OSAP application deadlines must be met in order for your OSAP funds to be processed in time. The Student Financial Services office at York must receive your completed application and all required documents by the dates indicated on the government OSAP website.

ExpandWhat are the maximum amounts for part-time student loans?

Indicated below are the maximum amounts of assistance a student may receive for an academic year, based on the Ministry's calculated need. 

Program Maximum Amount
Part-time Canada Student Loan $10,000*
Canada Student Grant for Part-time Studies Up to $1,200
Canada Student  Grant for Part-time Students with Dependants Up to $1,920
Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities Up to $2,000
Ontario Part-Time Grant Up to $500

* The maximum outstanding principal for all Part-time Canada Student Loans cannot exceed $10,000 at any time (does not include accruing interest).

ExpandHow do I report changes or cancel my application?

If you want to report changes or cancel your application, use the form below. Once we have reviewed your application, we will advise you how these changes will affect your funding. This may take from six to eight weeks.

ExpandHow do I check on the status of my part-time OSAP application?

Once you have applied online, you can return to your OSAP application on the OSAP Web site to do the following:

  • Regularly check the status of your application.
  • Check for any outstanding necessary documentation or instructions on what needs to be done next.
  • Update your mailing address to make sure you receive all correspondence promptly.
  • Check on the amount of loans and/or grants that have been issued for your current year and also for past years if you are a returning student.
  • Check to see if your document has arrived at the school by logging into the Financial Document Tracker.

  • Facebook link
  • Twitter link
  • YouTube link
  • Gmail icon
  • Google Drive icon
  • Google Calendar icon
  • Moodle icon


See all important dates.
Ask a student services expert