Submitting Your RAY Position
The Research at York (RAY) program is administered by the Office of Student Financial Services who determines eligibility, sets timelines, approves RAY positions and handles reimbursements to employers.
RAY position requests are posted on the Career Centre Job Posting Web site called Symplicity. After you have submitted your request(s), all RAY positions go through a faculty-led approval process (even if previously approved). It is therefore very important that your job description outline in detail the research engagement, the research project and what the students will be learning. Note: these are sample instructions. You must go to the Career Centre Job Posting Web Site to actually post position requests. The buttons below are not functional.
If you have never used Symplicity before:
- Click on "Register" (to register for an account) or "Register and Post a Job" (to simultaneously register for an account and submit a job posting).
- Fill in the required fields to create your registration:
- Organization Information: York University, <Department Name>
- Industry: Education
- Organizational Profile: Internal York University Department
- Contact Information: full name, e-mail and phone are required fields
- Address: 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3
- Click Submit
- An administrator will approve your registration within a day and you will receive an e-mail with your username, password and instructions on how to post your job proposals. Account approval is required before you can log in and begin posting RAY jobs. Once the approval e-mail has been received, follow the instructions below.
- If you select "Register and Post a Job" you will also be asked to set up your username and password.
If you already have a Symplicity account:
Enter your username and password. If you have misplaced your password, click on “forgot password” and it will be e-mailed to you.
To post a job once you are logged in:
- Click on “Create Job Posting” on the home page or click on “job postings” in the top navigation bar and then the “Add New” button.
- Fill in the required information (marked by a red asterisk).
- Fields on the job application are self explanatory, the following provides general information about fields that you must complete for the RAY program and specific entry details:
Position Information Section:
- Position Type: only check off “Research at York (RAY)”
- Job Title: the title given to the position (i.e. Field Researcher, Project X etc.)
- Job Description: brief description on the position and the nature of student’s involvement in the Research. Qualifications (skills) are indicated in another section below.
- Related Field: you can select one or more options, this is used to assist students with search position that may be of interest to them.
- Job Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Position Start Date: September 10, 2015
- Hours per week: Maximum 10 hours per week in the Fall/Winter
- Hourly wage: $15/hour recommended.
Job Posting Visibility Section:
- Qualifications: indicate the minimum skills a student must have to be considered for the position.
- Posting Date: This is the date when you want your
position to go live on the Career Centre Web site for students to
Example: August 13, 2015.
- Expiration Date: This is the date the
position will expire from view on the Career Centre Web site and
students will no longer be able to view/apply.
Example: August 24, 2015.
Application Process Section:
- If you do not want your position posted (advertised to student applicants) select "No" when the system asks you "Do You Want This Position Posted?", and put your posting date and expiration date within one day of each other.
Example: August 13, 2015 and August 14, 2015.
4. Once you have filled-in the required information, click “Submit”. Student Financial Services will review the job postings and decisions will be sent via e-mail by the specified deadline (see timelines).
- How would you like to receive resumes for this position: select the option that best suits your needs (e-mail, fax, mail etc.).
- Automatic Application Packet Generation: only indicate ‘Yes’ if you plan to start your selection process after the “Expiration Date” indicated above. You can generate online application packages at anytime during the process if you wish.
- Additional Documents: indicate what information a student is required to submit along with their resume to be considered for the position.
- York University hiring departments only:
- Indicate “Yes” if you would like to have your position advertised.
- Indicate “No” if you do not want to have your position advertised.
Important: If you wish to apply for more than one RAY position, you must submit a new posting for each position (for example, if you would like four positions, you need to post the job four times). There is a copy feature in Symplicity you can use to facilitate this once you have created an initial job posting.
To retrieve and post an archived job
- Select “Create Job Posting”.
- Select “Show Archived”.
- Click on the drop-down box and select the job you want to copy.
- Review the job details and make any necessary revisions.
- If you would like to have multiple positions approved for the same description, you must copy the job description to match the number of positions being requested (for example, if you need four positions, you must post the job four times).