Undergraduate Course Fees Structure - FAQs

This page addresses the course fees structure for all undergraduate (bachelor and juris doctor) programs.

How are my course fees determined?

Course fees are set for each session and term by the York University Board of Governors, in accordance with current Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities guidelines. The intention is to provide greater cost certainty to students who decide to attend university.

Every undergraduate student at York University is assigned a fees cohort year based on their year of entry to their program of study. If, for example, you are 'new' to York University for Summer 2015 or Fall/Winter 2015-2016, you are assigned the 2015 fees cohort.

Course fees at the undergraduate level are based on the following factors:

  1. The fees cohort year you are assigned.
  2. The designation of your program as 'professional' or 'regular'.
  3. Your fee category of domestic or international student.

How is the fees cohort year assigned?

In most cases, your fees cohort year is based on the year you entered and completed at least one course in your current program of study at York University. For example, students who are admitted and complete at least one course in Summer 2015 or Fall/Winter 2015-2016 will have a fees cohort year of 2015.

Exceptions are noted below under "Can my fees cohort year change?".

Can my fees cohort year change?

Yes, your fees cohort will change under the following circumstances:

  1. If you do not complete a course in the year you are admitted to your program, your fees cohort will change if you are readmitted or allowed to defer your admission to the next year.
  2. If you do not complete at least one course over a total of any four or more consecutive summer and fall/winter sessions (two calendar years), you are assigned the fees cohort year for the year in which you 'reactivate' your file. For example, if the last session in which you completed a course for your program was fall/winter 2011-2012 and you reactivate for summer 2015, you would be assigned the 2015 fees cohort year because you have not completed a course in the previous four sessions (a two year period). After you reactivate your file, you must complete at least one course in that fees cohort year or your fees cohort year will change each fees cohort year until you complete a course.
  3. If you complete your original program or are accepted into a new program of study, your fees cohort will change to the year you enter the new program. For example, if you are attending York in an undergraduate program in the 2011 fees cohort year and are accepted into the Osgoode JD program for September 2015, you will be assigned a fees cohort year of 2015 for your Osgoode program. You would also be assigned a 2015 fees cohort year if you completed your BA in the Fall/Winter 2014-2015 session and entered a non-degree or second degree program in summer 2015.

If you have previously attended York and go from an undergraduate to a graduate program, your fees cohort will change to the fees cohort year you enter the graduate program.

What happens if I change my major?

Normally, changing your major will not affect your fees cohort year. However, your course fees will be affected if you change your major from a 'regular' undergraduate program to a 'professional' undergraduate program (see What is the difference between professional and regular undergraduate fees?).

What is my fees cohort year if I transfer from another university?

If you transfer from another university, your fees cohort year will be based on the year you are admitted to York.

What is the difference between professional and regular undergraduate fees?

The Tuition Fee Guidelines from the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) provide for a different set of increases for undergraduate professional programs. The following programs are designated as professional undergraduate programs at York University:

  • Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA, iBBA)
  • Bachelor of Commerce (former Bachelor of Administrative Studies BAS)
  • Bachelor of Engineering (BEng)
  • Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BA, BSc, iBA, iBSc)
  • Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BA, BSc)
  • Bachelor of Public Administration (BPA)
  • Bachelor of Disaster and Emergency Management (BDEM)
  • Bachelor of Design (BDes)
  • Juris Doctor (JD)

Where a student is a double major with one major regular and one major professional the professional fees are charged (in this case the more expensive fees).
Where a student is a regular major and a professional minor, the fees for the major are charged (in this case the less expensive fees).
Where a student is in a professional major and regular minor, the professional fees for the major are charged (in this case the more expensive fees).

What is the domestic and international fee structure for undergraduate programs?

Domestic and international course fees for most undergraduate programs, with the exception of the Bachelor of Design (BDes) and Juris Doctor (JD), are charged based on the credit value of the course. The credit value can be found following the course number in the course description. For example, SB/ACTG 3120 3.00 has a 3.00 credit value and fees will be charged at the domestic or international course rate per credit for your program of study times 3.00 credits.

The course rate for your program and Faculty can be found at the Course Fees page. Note that in addition to the tuition fees, supplementary fees are included in the per credit charge. The supplementary fee details are outlined on each course fee page.

York University publishes course fees in advance of those charges appearing on student account statements.

How do I know if I am eligible for domestic or international fees?

Domestic or international fee status is determined by the information provided on your application for admission regarding your status in Canada. You may be required to provide documentation to the Registrar’s Office to verify your eligibility for domestic fees. To see information about domestic and international fee rates, follow the steps below:

  1. Visit the Undergraduate Calendars site.
  2. Open Academic and Financial Information on the site's menu.
  3. Under the Financial Information heading, choose Academic Tuition Fee Categories.

What should I do if my fees have been incorrectly assessed or if my status has changed from international to domestic?

If your fees have been incorrectly assessed, or if your status has changed from international to domestic, you must contact Registrarial Services to clarify your situation. In some cases you may be required to present certain documentation to have your status changed. Original documents will be required; photocopies are not accepted. Registrarial Services will advise you as to the necessary next steps.

What is the fee structure for the Bachelor of Design and Juris Doctor?

Fees for the Bachelor of Design (BDes) and the Juris Doctor (JD) degrees are charged by program and not based on enrolments (credits). You may enrol in a specified maximum number of credits for the academic period. The program fee includes supplementary charges. View details on the Course Fees page.

What are supplementary and additional fees?

Supplementary fees are centrally-collected ancillary fees and fees approved by student referenda. They support items such as athletics and recreation, student associations, colleges, the Student Centre and other student-run services. At the undergraduate level these fees are charged on a per-credit basis, with the exception of the Bachelor of Design and Juris Doctor, which have a single program fee. A breakdown of the supplementary fees can be seen on the course fees page for your program.

What are associated course fees?

Some courses have additional charges for consumables such as printed material and supplies. If a course has associated course fees, they can be seen in the York Courses Website listing for the course in the Notes/Additional Fees column.

How can I estimate what I'll need to pay each term from my statement?

Starting in the Fall 2015-2016 Session, tuition fees for full-year courses will be charged over two terms: fifty percent (50%) of full-year course fees will be due in September, and the remaining fifty percent (50%) will be due in January. See Understanding your monthly statement to estimate your September and January payment obligations.