There are numerous donor funded awards that have been approved under the York University Students with Permanent Disabilities special program, as allowed by the Ontario Human Rights Commission, to assist students with disabilities at York University.
Disability awards are categorized by (but are not limited to):
- students with physical, sensory and/or medical disabilities
- students with learning disabilities
- students with mental health and psychiatric disabilities
In most instances, preference will be given to students who are registered with a recognized York University service provider which will be verified as part of the selection process.
More information on awards for students with disabilities can be found by using the Award Search module. Use the keyword "disability" to narrow the search.
In order to apply for these awards, York University students must complete the Student Financial Profile by the October 15 deadline and must self-identify as having a permanent disability. In order to facilitate easier processing of applications, students are asked to indicate the nature of their disability in their personal statement.
Students with disabilities have the option of submitting a paper version of the Student Financial Profile and/or the Awards for Students with Disabilities application form. Paper copies of both applications are available at the following Counselling & Disability Services offices:
- Learning Disability Services, W128 Bennett Centre for Student Services
- Mental Health Disability Services, N110 Bennett Centre for Student Services
- Physical, Sensory and Medical Disability Services, N108 Ross Building
- Glendon Counselling Services, 111A Glendon Hall
Applications can be submitted through the dropbox located in the lobby of the Bennett Centre for Student Services or by mail to: Student Financial Services, W223 Bennett Centre for Student Services, York University, 4700 Keele St., Toronto ON, M3J 1P3.
Successful applicants will be notified in writing in March.
Need Assistance? Take a few minutes to view our online tutorial about the Student Financial Profile.