This tool lets you view awards, scholarships, prizes and bursaries offered at York University. Take a few moments to search for awards you may be eligible for: you can search by Faculty, award type, activity level or type in the name of an award that you may be familiar with. Unless otherwise stated, all full-time, part-time and mature students are eligible for all the awards in the system so long as they meet the published criteria.
For additional graduate awards, visit the York Financial Assistance section of the Faculty of Graduate Studies website. You can also see a listing of external awards elsewhere on this site.
All awards listed on this website are subject to change or cancellation without notice.
The ME Excellence Award for Teaching Assistantship recognizes the excellent teaching assistantship achievement of the graduate students (MASc and PhD) in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, York University.
To be eligible for the award, students must meet all of the following criteria at the time of nomination:
- Be registered full-time in a graduate program (MASc or PhD) at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, York University;
- Have completed at least one full contract of teaching assistantship in an undergraduate level course that is offered at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, York University.
Candidates may only be nominated by the instructor or the undergraduate students registered in the course for which he/she has conducted duties as a teaching assistant. Self-nomination is not allowed.
A complete nomination package must include all of the following documents:
1. Nomination Form
2. Nomination Letter from the course instructor(s) and the enrolled undergraduate student(s) (maximum 1 page each). The letter must be provided and signed by the nominators. It should comment on the candidates overall performance as a teaching assistant and be specific on the selection criteria above. It should also state why the candidates performance and contributions exceed expectations and are worthy of recognition.
3.Personal Teaching Statement by the nominee (maximum 1 page)
It should provide a summary of specific teaching assistantship activities undertaken by the nominee and his/her teaching philosophy, goals and objectives as a teaching assistant. The letter must highlight the nominees specific achievements pertaining to the selection criteria above. The nominee may request the teaching evaluation results of the course (only related to TAs) from the course instructor and use them as evidence towards meeting the criteria.
Complete nomination package must be submitted electronically as one PDF file to the Graduate Program Assistant of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. The deadline will be set 1 month after announcing the award on the department website and via email to faculty members and graduate students.
How to Interpret the Awards Search Results
The time of year when this award is offered. This gives you an idea about when you'll need to apply for the award. The most common is In-Course (Fall/Winter), indicating that the award happens during the Fall/Winter session.
2. Award Type
The type of award:
- Bursaries are based on financial need. Therefore, students with financial need are encouraged to apply.
- Scholarships are based on academic merit. Therefore, students with high academic standing are encouraged to apply.
- Awards are based on both academic merit and financial need. Therefore, students with high academic standing and financial need are encouraged to apply.
The value of this award.
4. No. of Awards
The number of these awards offered each year.
Details about the award's origins, purpose, and eligibility requirements. For example, some awards may require a minimum credit enrolment, a certain grade point average (GPA), enrolment in a specific Faculty, or a certain citizenship status.
6. Application Process
This explains how you can be considered for the award. Many of the awards simply require that you fill out the Student Financial Profile (SFP) for the current session. Other awards may, for example, ask for reference letters and personal statements outlining your extra-curricular involvement.